Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 139,077 pages of information and 225,328 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Walton Spencer (1843-1908) of John Spencer and Sons
1843 Born the son of John Spencer (c1818-1905)
1908 Obituary 
JOHN WALTON SPENCER was born at Newborn on 20th June 1843, being the son of the late Mr. John Spencer, of Newborn Steel Works, Newcastle-on-Tyne.
All his life he had been identified with these works, from the active management of which he retired in 1905, being chairman of the Company from 1897 until his death.
In addition to being a director of several other industrial companies, he took an active interest in local affairs, and was the first representative of the Walbottle Division on the Northumberland County Council. In the early days of the Volunteer movement he identified himself with it, and subsequently attained the rank of major of the battery of the Northumberland Volunteer Artillery.
He was elected a Member of this Institution in 1867, and served as a Member of Council from 1902 up to the time of his decease. On the occasion of the Summer Meeting in Newcastle-on-Tyne in 1902, he entertained the Members at the Newborn Works.
He was a Member of the Iron and Steel Institute, and took part regularly in the discussions on those papers dealing with steel manufacture. Latterly he had resided at Droitwich on account of his health.
His death took place at Alnmouth on 28th August 1908, at the age of sixty-five.
1908 Obituary 
JOHN WALTON SPENCER died suddenly on August 27, 1908, at Alnmouth, Northumberland, at the age of sixty-five.
He was the eldest son of the late Mr. John Spencer, and a grandson of the founder of the Newburn Steelworks, which were established nearly a century ago. The deceased gentleman started his career as an apprentice at the Crewe works of the London and North-Western Railway Company.
About 1863 he entered the Newburn Steelworks as assistant to his uncle Michael, whom he subsequently succeeded as manager. He was for forty years concerned in the management of the works, and for twenty years filled the position of managing director. The business dates back to the time when the only steel in use was that which was made from cemented Swedish bars. The works occupy a commanding site in the upper reaches of the Tyne, and have grown until they now cover an area of 60 acres, and employ some 2000 hands. He was one of the pioneers of the steel-casting industry in the north. He was a director of Blair & Company, Stockton, of the Newcastle and District Electric Lighting Company, the Weldless Chain Company, the Throckley Coal Company, and of John Abbot & Company, Limited.
He also took an active interest in local affairs, and was the first representative of the Walbottle Division on the Northumberland County Council.
He was a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, and was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1879, and took part regularly in the discussions of such papers which dealt with alloys of iron and steel manufacture.