John Thompson Engineering Co
1936 Public company, John Thompson Engineering Co, was formed with a share capital of £1 million, to acquire the business and assets of John Thompson (Wolverhampton) Ltd and buy the shares of the associated Thompson companies (which became subsidiaries of the new company) as well as the 80 percent of the shares in Wilson Boilermakers Ltd that it owned. Albert Edward Thompson (b. 1866) was the first chairman. Other directors were William John, Stephen John and Edward Walter Thompson.
Late 1940s, with the introduction of John Thompson Ltd as the holding company, the Wolverhampton company became the subsidiary focussed on shell-type boilers and associated heavy equipment.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 18 June 1936