Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Thompson (1840-1909) of John Thompson
son of William Thompson
c.1850 William Thompson's business encountered difficulties and was taken over by his brother Stephen. William's son John learnt his trade under his uncle Stephen, and became progressively more responsible for running the company.
c. 1860 John Thompson bought the company from Stephen on a ten year deferred agreement.
By 1862, the firm had assumed the name of William Thompson and Son, although John Thompson was the owner and driving force behind it.
John had 4 sons, who went onto have major roles in the John Thompson company:
They and their sons in turn ran the company for much of the twentieth century.
1909 John Thompson died whilst returning from a trip to Egypt, Greece and Palestine.
WWI James and Albert ran the company whilst their brothers were in the services.
1918 James Thompson became the first chairman. He was injured in a fall from a horse in 1933, and died in 1934.
1936 Albert Edward Thompson became the first chairman of the new public company John Thompson Engineering Ltd.
Obituary 1909 
. . . of the Boiler works, Wolverhampton, and the Windmill Structural and Engineering Works, Dudley. Mr. Thompson was head of the firm bearing his name. He was the son of Mr. William Thompson, who was the founder of the firm in 1840 and joined his father in partnership in 1860 under the title of William Thompson and Sons. They then had works at Bilston, Staffordshire.
In 1870 the works were removed to Wolverhampton, when the partnership was dissolved and Mr. William Thompson retired. Mr. John Thompson, however, continued the business under his own name.
In the year 1887 he took into partnership his eldest son, Mr. James Thompson, and in 1889 the works were entirely reconstructed, and the most modern boiler-making machinery was installed. In 1890 a second son, Mr. Albert Edward Thompson, joined the firm. In 1890 Mr. William J. Thompson and Mr. S. John Thompson entered the business. In this same year the firm purchased the works of the late Samuel Woodall, of Dudley, for the manufacture of steel chimneys, water softeners, and general structural and steel works plant . . . [more]
1909 Obituary 
JOHN THOMPSON was born at Bilston, Staffordshire, on 31st August 1840, being the son of Mr. William Thompson, boiler manufacturer.
In 1860 his father admitted him in partnership, and ten years later the works were removed to Wolverhampton when the partnership was dissolved owing to the retirement of his father. Mr. John Thompson thereafter continued the business under his own name.
In 1887 he took into partnership his eldest son, and two years later the works were entirely reconstructed and the most modern boiler-making machinery was installed.
In 1890 three other sons joined the firm, and year by year the works grew until they became amongst the largest and best equipped boiler works in the country. Nearly all the machinery is driven by polyphase motors, the current being supplied from the firm's own generating station.
In 1890 the firm purchased the works of the late Mr. Samuel Woodall, of Dudley, for the manufacture of steel chimneys, water softeners, and general structural and steel works plant, and since then the works have been considerably enlarged.
In 1903 he introduced dished ends to Lancashire boilers, with the object of avoiding the necessity for stays.
For some years he was also managing director of the Manor Ironworks, Wolverhampton. He had travelled considerably, having visited America on several occasions, and he had also made two tours round the world.
He was returning from Egypt and Palestine when his death took place on the S.S. "Macedonia " on 21st April 1909, in his sixty-ninth year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1875.