John Taylor and Sons (Mining Engineers)
Mining engineers of 6 Queen Street Place, London EC (1871)
1796 John Taylor improvised a mechanised copper ore crusher at Wheal Friendship, a mine just outside Tavistock. This machine was improved over time and became widely adopted; it was known as the "Cornish rolls".
1799 The firm was founded by John Taylor (later F.R.S., M.Inst.C.E.) at Tavistock.
Moved to Bury Court, St. Mary Axe, London.
1825 John Taylor was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society
1849 Occupied the 6 Queen Street Place address.
1851 Richard Taylor (1810-1883) came to London and was admitted into partnership with his father and brother. The business of Messrs. John Taylor and Sons was, since then, carried out on a constantly increasing scale, including metallic mines of every description.
1853 Took on the management of the Linares Mining Company
1862 John Taylor took on the Sandycroft site.
1899 Henry Claude Taylor (c.1873-1933) was admitted into partnership
1902 Arthur Taylor became a member of the firm
1905 Robert Taylor presented a report on behalf of the company
Another firm of similar name, John Taylor and Sons, were civil engineers, based in Westminster; they designed many water and sewerage schemes.
Sources of Information
- Obituary of John Taylor
- The Times, Sep 02, 1920
- The Times, Jul 01, 1899
- The Times, Mar 25, 1902
- The Times Jun 16, 1905
- The Times, Dec 29, 1908