Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,153 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Stubbs (1861-1922)
1922 Obituary 
JOHN STUBBS, M.B.E., died at his residence, World's End, Warwickshire, on November 1, 1920.
Mr. Stubbs was born on September 27, 1861, and founded in 1901 the business of non-ferrous metal manufacturers and rollers and wire-drawers known as The Hughes Stubbs Metal Company, and was solely responsible for the development of that concern, which in 1906 was registered as a liability company, the directors being, besides Mr. Stubbs, Mr. Joseph Hughes, of Birmingham, and the late Mr. John Albert Hughes. Under Mr. Stubbs' energetic direction the concern very quickly developed and a large business was built up both at home and abroad. The reputation of the firm and the excellence of its products soon made it one of the leading concerns in the trade.
In 1911 Mr. Stubbs was one of the prime movers in bringing the trade together and forming The Cold Rolled Brass and Copper Tube Association, of which he was chairman at the time of his death. He found time to identify himself with numerous movements, becoming during the war an officer and treasurer of the Warwickshire Rifle Corps ; and, in addition to acting in many advisory capacities in connection with the manufacture of cartridge and other non-ferrous metals for the Government, he took charge of the Birmingham Scrap Store at Aston belonging to the Ministry of Munitions, and threw himself wholeheartedly into any work which was of benefit to the country in those days.
As from December 1916 the shares in The Hughes Stubbs Metal Co., Ltd., were acquired by Messrs. Elliotts Metal Co., Ltd., and Mr. Stubbs, in addition to retaining his directorship of the Hughes Stubbs Metal Co., Ltd., became a director of Elliotts Metal Co., Ltd., and William Cooper & Goode, Ltd.
Mr. Stubbs was elected a member of the Institute on July 30, 1917, and was awarded the M.B.E. for special war services.