John Strapp (1821-1900)
Died 1900 aged 78.
1901 Obituary 
JOHN STRAPP, born in 1821, commenced his engineering career in 1837 with Mr. Cardus, who had a sub-contract under Mr. Brassey for the construction of the London and South Western Railway from Nine Elms to Surbiton.
He also assisted Mr. Cardus on contracts for the construction of a part of the London and North Western Railway.
About the year 1844 he joined the staff of the London and South Western Railway, and became Assistant in 1848 to the late Mr. Albinus Martin, and after the retirement of the latter to Mr. Michael Bass.
In 1856 he was appointed Chief Resident Engineer of the line, which post he held until his retirement in November, 1870. During that term of office he executed many enlargements of stations and widenings of the line, also the Locomotive and Stores depots at Nine Elms, and several extensions of Waterloo Station, including the Windsor Line Station.
From his retirement in 1870 until the time of his death, which took place on the 5th October, 1900, Mr. Strapp did not practise as an engineer. He took great interest in local matters at Surbiton, where he resided for over forty-five years, and was for many years a member of the Improvement Commission, to which body his practical knowledge as an engineer was of great assistance.
Mr. Strapp was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 10th January, 1854, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 17th January, 1860.