Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,173 pages of information and 245,641 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Shearer and Sons

From Graces Guide

Mid-1800s. Company founded by John Shearer senior. The yard was at Kingston Dock.

1872 John Shearer and Sons leased part of the Kelvinhaugh yard and the slip dock, previously occupied by Alexander Stephen and Sons.

c.1900 Acquired land at Scotstoun on the Clyde to where the company moved to establish the Elderslie Dockyard. Had a 500 foot dry dock built. The graving dock provided ongoing business whilst the company tried to equip the new dock for shipbuilding.

1902 John Shearer and Sons Limited, Kelvinhaugh Slip Docks, Glasgow, was incorporated, with capital of £95,000, to acquire the business, lands, and estate of John Shearer & Son, carrying on business at Kelvinhaugh as shipbuilders.[1]

1907 Company ran out of funds to equip the works at Elderslie; company went into liquidation; the liquidator continued the business as a going concern but no further attempt was made to establish the ship building activities.

1908 Sir John Shearer, son of the founder, died.

1912 The Elderslie Dockyard and Graving Dock ,which was particularly suited to repair work, was taken over by Barclay, Curle and Co[2].

1912 As with the rest of Barclay, Curle and Co, the Elderslie Dockyard was taken over in May by Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson [3]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Scotsman 1 February 1902
  2. The Times, 28 February 1912
  3. The Times, 28 February 1912
  • National Records of Scotland BT2/5011