Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,124 pages of information and 227,783 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Pendlebury (1837-1902)
1903 Obituary 
JOHN PENDLEBURY, born in Manchester on the 3rd March, 1837, was the son of the late John Pendlebury, M.D. (Cantab.), a leading physician of that city.
After being educated at Chorlton High School, he became a pupil of the late Sir James Brunlees (then Mr. Brunlees), Past-President, in 1855, and was engaged on the works of the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway (now the Furness Railway) across Morecambe Bay, as well as on survey and construction work in North Wales.
He was one of the staff of engineers sent out in 1860 by Mr. Brunlees for the construction of the Sao Paulo Railway, in Brazil, where, during his four years’ engagement, he was mainly employed on the lower section from Santos to the foot of the inclines.
At the end of 1864 Mr. Pendlebury obtained an appointment as an Assistant Engineer on the Sind, Punjab and Delhi Railway, being afterwards promoted to the grade of District Engineer.
Owing to the reduction of the staff, due to the completion of the works and the approaching opening of the railway, he was retired from the Company’s service at the latter end of 1875, receiving the thanks of the board of directors on the occasion. Soon after his return to England he was employed on railway work in Spain, and for a short time he was in charge of the Jamaica Railway.
On account of ill-health he retired from engineering practice for some years before his death, but continued to take much interest in scientific instruments and mechanical devices. He was an excellent draughtsman and painted both in oil and water-colours with considerable taste and skill.
Mr. Pendlebury was kind-hearted and generous, and his genial disposition won him many friends, who were painfully shocked by his sudden and unexpected death at 17 Claverton Street, S.W., on the 4th October, 1902.
He was elected a Member of the Inatitution on the 7th March, 1871.