Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Orr (d.1928)

From Graces Guide

John Orr ( -1928)


1929 Obituary [1]

JOHN ORR died on November 23, 1928, at Greenock.

A native of that town, he was educated at Kilblair Academy, and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. John Hastie & Co., Ltd., subsequently being employed in Greenock Foundry, and with Messrs. Caird & Co., before obtaining an appointment in Barrow, with Messrs. Vickers Sons and Maxim.

Mr. Orr went out to Bilbao, but after a time returned home to serve four years with Messrs. Denny, Dumbarton. While in the latter post he received an offer from Sir James McKechnie, director of the famous Barrow firm, to return to England; this he accepted. His sojourn at Barrow extended to eleven years, and twenty years ago he was sent by the firm to Ferrol, where, at the date of his death, he held the important and responsible position of Chief of the Drawing Office of the Naval Construction Works.

Shortly before his death he had not been feeling in the best of health, and took a trip home, in the hope that the change would do him good. This, however, was not realized, and he passed away peacefully in the Royal Infirmary, Greenock. A man of sterling character, thorough and methodical, he was held in high esteem. By the Spanish people he was looked upon as a Scotsman of the best type, whose word was as good as his bond, and at Ferrol he will be greatly missed.

Mr. Orr became a member of the Institute of Metals on May 19, 1926.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information