Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,109 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Neale

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

John Neale (c1833-1901)

1881 John Neale 47, telegraph engineer, lived in Stoke upon Trent with Mary Neale 50, Fredk.W. Neale 22, telegraph engineer, Kate M. Neale 21, telegraphist, Charles S. Neale 19, chemist's apprentice, George A. Neale 13, Florence G. Neale 12, John Edward Neale 10[1]



1902 Obituary [2]

JOHN NEALE, aged 68, died at his residence, Wychdon Villa Hixon, near Stafford, on the 18th of December, 1901, after a brief illness, and was interred at Hixon Parish Church on December 21st.

Mr. Neale was born in London, educated at Trinity School, Bow, and joined the services of the Electric and International Telegraph Company in 1851 at the Strand office; was transferred to Stafford in 1852, Manchester 1853, and Birmingham 1854.

In 1859 he was appointed Inspector in charge of the North Staffordshire and London and North-Western lines in the Midland Counties.

In 1870, on the transfer of the telegraphs to the Government, he was appointed Telegraph Superintendent and Electrical Engineer to the North Staffordshire Railway Company, which position he held up to the time of his death.

In 1873 he patented the acoustic Single Needle dial, which is now used by the Post Office and railways, and a single wire block instrument which is now in use on the North Staffordshire Railway; also a recording block instrument for permissive block use, showing the number of trains actually in the section, and a rail treadle so that the trains can announce their approach at level crossings automatically.

Mr. Neale also acted as Honorary Secretary to the Conference of Railway Telegraph Engineers and Superintendents at their half-yearly meetings.

He was elected a Member of the Institution on the 28th of November, 1877.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information