Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,052 pages of information and 231,597 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Menzies (1846-1907)

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

John Menzies (1846-1907)


1907 Obituary [1]

JOHN MENZIES was born in 1846 in Perthshire, where he received his education and obtained his early engineering training.

In 1866 he was appointed deputy surveyor to the Edinburgh Road Trust, which office he held for a period of 3 years.

In 1869, at the age of 23, he left Scotland to take up what proved to be a permanent residence in Wales, on receiving the appointment of manager and engineer to the Cambrian Quarries, Llanberis, Carnarvon. This undertaking was subsequently amalgamated with the Goodrnan and Cefndu quarries, and Mr. Menzies became managing director of the joint enterprise.

Later he became part proprietor and manager of the Alexandra quarry, Nantlle Vale, and consulting engineer to the Coedmadog and South Dorothea quarries in the same district. He devoted special attention to the study of the geology of the county, and so thoroughly did he master the practice of slate-quarrying that he soon became widely recognized as an expert in all matters relating to the industry.

Apart from the claims of business, Mr. Menzies was an ardent worker in the field of public education, in which he took a deep personal interest. As a member of the Carnarvon County Council, he did yeoman service on various committees of that body, especially the Education and Finance committees, and he was repeatedly elected a county alderman. He also served on the Commission of the Peace for Carnarvon, and on the Carnarvon Board of Guardians and other local bodies. He was a member of the Carnarvon Harbour Trust for nearly 25 years, and he also served the office of chairman.

He died at Pwllheli on the 21st May, 1907.

Mr. Menzies was elected an Associate of The Institution on the 3rd February, 1874, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information