Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,990 pages of information and 229,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The brothers Benjamin Mander and John Mander were early industrialists and entrepreneurs, who developed a cluster of loosely-integrated businesses in paints and pigments, japanning, chemicals manufacture and varnish making.
1754 Born son of Thomas and Elizabeth Mander
John was apprenticed to a chemical company, possibly the alkali works of William Small at Tipton.
After his apprenticeship, he had acquired enough money to start his own business, and so set himself up as a manufacturing chemist and druggist, at premises in King Street.
1784 Chemist and druggist of Wolverhampton; James Cooper was apprenticed to him
1790 John purchased four houses, two in Cock Street and two at the back of 48 St. John's Lane. He moved his business there to be close to his brother Benjamin's activities.
The brothers established a japanning and tin plate works. Later they set up a chemical and drugs business which became the paint and varnish business of Mander Brothers
1803 Chemist of Wolverhampton, took James Prance as apprentice
1803 Married Hannah Johnson in Wolverhampton
c.1827 Died