Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Building and Civil Engineering Contractors of Mill Hill, London, NW7.
1848 Business established in Cumberland by James Laing
1914 John William Laing, grandson of the founder, took full control of the business.
1920 Opened office in London
1926 Headquarters moved from Carlisle to Mill Hill, London
1937 Building and engineering contractors. 
1953 John Laing and Sons (Holdings) Ltd was listed on the London Stock Exchange. The family and its trusts and charities held the majority of the shares. John William Laing became the chairman, and his sons became joint managing directors. By this time, the number of employees was around 10,000, and every site had a quality supervisor.
1956 Took the contract to build the new Coventry Cathedral
1957 John William Laing retired; he was succeeded by his son William Kirby Laing, assisted by his brother James.
Under William Kirby Laing and James Maurice Laing, the company continued to expand, winning contracts for power stations and diversifying into road construction while continuing to build houses.
1964 Acquired Holloway White Allom.
1965 Completed the M1, Britain's first motorway.
1971 Decline in interest in use of system building, something which most of the large contractors used for public sector projects such as housing
1974 Joined a consortium with the Societe des Grands Travaux de Petroliers Maritimes to produce a flotation collar for offshore oil platform tender in 1977.
1976 James Maurice Laing took over as chairman from his brother
1978 The company was reconstructed as John Laing Ltd. Laing Properties was demerged from the group.