Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,101 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John James King (1863-1901)
1901 Obituary 
JOHN JAMES KING was born in Oldbury on 27th September 1863.
Having been educated at Lodge Estate Academy, West Bromwich, be continued his scientific studies at the Birmingham School of Science and Art, and the Midland Institute.
From 1877 to 1882 he was engaged in the fitting and turning shops of the Oldbury Railway Carriage and Wagon Co., and in the latter year entered the drawing office of the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Co., where he remained until 1885, when he was placed in charge of the drawing and estimating departments until 1887.
In December 1887 he entered the service of Mr. James Dickson, of St. Albans, and with whom he remained until 1891. During this period be was engaged on various works, namely, Louth and Mablethorpe Railway, Cheshunt Main Drainage, Clerkenwell Viaduct, Mumbles Sea Wall, &c.
In 1891 he entered the Stanton Iron Works, near Nottingham, as designing and superintending engineer in the foundry department, where be had charge of the extensive alterations and additions to their buildings and plant.
This position he held up to the time of his death, which took place at Ilkeston, Derbyshire, on 12th May 1901, in his thirty-eighth year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1899.