John Howell and Co
of 1, 2, and 3, St. Paul's Churchyard; 1 to 9, Ludgate Hill; 7 to 15, Creed Lane; and 40, Carter Lane, London, E.C
Established in 1822 by the late Wynn Ellis, who was for many years M.P. for Leicester, and who at his death (1875) bequeathed a large number of valuable pictures to the National Gallery.
Partnership Successions: Ellis, Everington & Co.: Ellis, Howell & Co. The late John Howell, father of the present Chairman of the Company, joined the founder in partnership in 1837. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1871.
1914 Directors: E. H. Howell (Chairman), T. H. Tarlton, Francis Hall, J. Paynter. In St. Paul's Churchyard and adjacent streets the warehouse accommodation amounts to 820,000 cubic feet. Branches: Birmingham, 13, Albert Street; Liverpool, 66, Hanover Street. Stag: About 320 in all. Specialities: Latest Novelties in Dresses, Silks, and Fancy Drapery Goods. There are nearly thirty departments. The Company are large buyers in all the principal markets, and have buying agencies in most parts of the world.