c.1855 or 1856, John Hill emigrated from England to New York and obtained work in a can factory. He moved to Millbury, Mass., where he made an improved roving-can (for textiles). Roving-cans had been made of very small sheets of tin, but Mr. Hill made them of larger sheets, and instead of wiring them around the top and bottom, he introduced an iron hoop with a single head turned and soldered into the top and bottom. This can was universally adopted due to its lower cost and greater durability. About 1857 he moved to Providence, where he successfully carried on his manufacture for several years. He died in Rochdale, England, in August, 1870. His son, James Hill, continued the business, having made several important improvements.