Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,881 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Hickman Barnes (1837-1903)
1904 Obituary 
He was then engaged for three years on the Petworth and Midhurst and the Horsham and Guildford railways, after which he acted from 1864 to 1871 as Principal Assistant to Mr. Beardmore, being occupied during that period in inspecting harbour and dock works, waterworks and railways, in drawing up reports to the Public Works Loan Commissioners, and on works connected with the River Lee Navigation and with the maintenance of the Thames River Wall under the jurisdiction of the Essex Sewers Commissioners.
In January, 1872, Mr. Barnes was taken into partnership by Mr. Beardmore, and, after the latter’s death in the following August, he carried on the business of the firm in conjunction with the late St. Bernard Beardmore, the eldest son.
In September 1872, he was appointed Engineer to the Havering and Dagenham Levels Commissioners, in succession to Mr. Beardmore, and in the following December, he and St. Bernard Beardmore were placed in charge of the construction of a large storage reservoir for the water-supply of Llanelly.
In 1885 he became Engineer to the Rainham Levels Commissioners.
Mr. Barnes also acted as Engineer on the construction of the Carmarthen and the Maritzburg (Natal) Waterworks and of the Penzance Docks. For the Public Works Loan Board he reported on and, in some cases, carried out, between 1881 and 1903, a considerable amount of work in connection with various harbours, among which may be mentioned St. Ives, Falmouth, Bridlington, Warkworth, Mevagissey, Portrush, Stonehaven and Watchet. He was also engaged at various times on work for the Lee Conservancy Board, the New River Company and the East London Water Company. Mr. Barnes died at Manor Lodge, Egham, on the 30th October, 1903, in his sixty-seventh year.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 7th February, 1865, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 29th May, 1877.