Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,848 pages of information and 225,307 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Henry Andrew (1824-1884) of Jno. Hy. Andrew and Co
1871 Living at Tapton Court, Tapton Lane, Eccleshall Bierlow, Sheffield: John Hy Andrew (age 46 born Sheffield). Steel Manufacturer employing 32 men and 5 boys. With his wife Sarah Andrew and their seven children, a visitor and three servants.
1884 Obituary 
JOHN HENRY ANDREW, head of the firm of Messrs. John H. Andrew & Co., of the Toledo Steel Works, Sheffield, was born in Sheffield in, 1824, and died in that town on the 6th September 1884.
On leaving a local school, he was apprenticed to Messrs. Wilson & Southern, cutlery manufacturers, Doncaster Street; and soon after his apprenticeship expired, he entered into partnership with Messrs. Richard Groves & Sons, saw, file, and edge-tool manufacturers, Sheffield. This was in 1846, and he continued a member of the same firm for sixteen years, when he commenced business on his own account as a steel manufacturer at Malinda Works.
The Malinda Works soon proved insufficient for the rapidly growing business which Mr. Andrew was getting together, and in 1863 he commenced the erection of the large establishment at Neepsend, to which he gave the name of the Toledo Steel Works, and which has ever since been associated with his productions. Until failing health compelled him to relinquish some of his duties, Mr. Andrew did most of the travelling for his firm, and it is stated that whilst so engaged he crossed the Atlantic upwards of sixty times.
In 1882 he practically retired from the management of the business which he had built up, and left it to three of his sons.
Mr. Andrew was formerly a member of the Sheffield Town Council, but he had of late years taken little or no part in public affairs. He had also been a member of the Cutlers' Company, and filled the position of senior warden. In due course he would have been Master Cutler; but in consequence of the condition of his health he did not feel equal to the strain which that position would have put upon him,' and instead of becoming head of the Cutlers' Company he paid the usual forfeit.
A few months before his death, on attaining his sixtieth birthday, Mr. Andrew presented £2000 to the medical and other charities of Sheffield. Mr. Andrew was a great lover of art, and he possessed a collection of pictures of rare excellence and value.
He was elected a member of the Institute in 1881.