John Hambly ( -1934)
1934 Obituary 
JOHN HAMBLY had a long engineering connexion with Port Elizabeth, Cape Province. He was a native of Redruth, Cornwall, and was apprenticed to the Lucking Mill Foundry Company, Camborne.
In 1886 he went to South Africa, and was engaged chiefly in contracting for the erection and repair of engines, boilers, and washing machinery at the Kimberley diamond fields.
He returned to England in 1889 and devoted three years to the study of electrical engineering, after which he again went to South Africa and entered into partnership with Mr. Mangold, establishing in Port Elizabeth the business of Messrs. Hambly and Mangold, electrical engineers and contractors. He superintended the erection of steam and electric plant for the South African Ice Works, engines and boilers for the Port Elizabeth Electric Tramway Company, and the installation of electric light for the harbour works of Port Elizabeth.
In 1902 he patented an improved type of rotary engine; he also patented improvements in drawing appliances.
He returned to England in 1914, joining the staff of the University College of Southampton, and assisted the Engineering Department in the production of shells and superintended the practical work in the laboratories.
In 1920 he left for Port Elizabeth, and was concerned with drying appliances for leather manufacture. He was also engaged by various companies as analyst and mechanical expert.
He had been a Member of the Institution since 1900. Mr. Hambly devoted a large amount of time on behalf of the Institution to the local arrangements for examinations in mechanical engineering. He was also a Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.
His death occurred in Port Elizabeth on 19th July 1934.