John H. Wilson and Co
From Graces Guide
John H. Wilson and Company of Dock Road, Seacombe, Birkenhead, and Bankhall Engine Works Sandhills, Liverpool.
See also J. H. Wilson and Co (of Liverpool)
1860 Company established. See John H. Wilson
1869 Improved Ships' Closet.
1870s Making the Selden steam pump under licence 
1875 Built a locomotive for the Welsh Slate Company at Blaenau Ffestiniog.
1879 Crane for Albert Dock, Tanjong Pagar Dock Company, Singapore. Now preserved on public display near ferry terminal ('Harbour Front').
1891 Of Bank Hall Engine Works. For description of works see 1891 The Practical Engineer
1892 Incorporated as a limited company.
1894 Locomotive Crane, Manchester Ship Canal ('of Liverpool'). 
Manchester Ship Canal - Wilson were a major supplier to these works - either directly or to involved contractors during the construction phase; and to the organisation as a port authority. Note the typical MSC spark arresting bonnets on the chimney.
1903 of 15, Victoria-street, Westminster, and Liverpool. Issued a catalogue No. 52b showing by means of photographic illustrations the many types of cranes made by the company.
1905 Advert for steam winches, windlasses, deck cranes, donkey pumps etc. (of 150 Sandhills, Liverpool) 
1911 7-ton floating jib crane for Spain. 
1914 Engineers and ironfounders. Specialities: steam and electrical cranes, excavators, windlasses, capstans, winches, concrete mixers, pumps and boilers. Employees 500. 
1919 Locomotive cranes.  It was originally made for Russia (export stopped because of the revolution); regauged and diverted to the Inland Waterways Transport section of the War Department; then to Kantara Workshops on the Sinai Military Railway and finally into Palestine Railway's stock. 
1920 January. Issued leaflets on electrically driven cargo winches. 
1920 Produced a travelling gantry crane for dockyard use. 
1928 “Buildings plant and machinery, and business” advertised for sale.
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1869/06/04
- 'Mine Drainage' by Stephen Michell
- The Engineer of 25th May 1894 p463
- Chris Capewell Queens Park London
- The Engineer 1903/05/29, p 558
- Mechanical World Year Book 1905. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert p4
- The Engineer of 11th August 1911 p162
- 1914 Whitakers Red Book
- Mechanical World Year Book 1919. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert p109
- Chris Capewell, Queens Park London
- The Engineer of 9th Jan 1920 p53
- The Engineer of 5th November 1920 p462
- The Times; August 20th 1928.
- British Steam Locomotive Builders by James W. Lowe. Published in 1975. ISBN 0-905100-816