Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,990 pages of information and 229,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Foster (1758-1827) was an English engineer
1786 Birth of son John Foster (1786-1846)
He was Senior Surveyor to the Corporation of Liverpool succeeding Henry Berry.
In the early 1820s he was responsible for the extensive remodelling of Liverpool's Blue Coat School, adding the curved wall and new chapel to the rear.
In 1824 he was succeeded as Senior Surveyor by his son while Jesse Hartley replaced him as dock engineer at Liverpool Dock Trustees.
During his time as dock engineer, Foster completed only one dock (Prince's Dock, Liverpool).
He also converted Manchester Basin to an enclosed dock (Manchester Dock) and expanded several other docks including George’s Dock and Queen's Dock. The warehouse at King's Dock was built by Foster.
Adrian Jarvis has described Foster as a man of extraordinary abilities, but of low ethical standards, decribing Foster's regime as 'rotten to the core'. Foster resigned from his role at Liverpool Docks on 27 March 1824.