Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,419 pages of information and 211,648 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Edwin Storr (c1878-1935)
Consulting engineer of Leeds
1935 Obituary 
JOHN EDWIN STORR was in practice as a consulting engineer in Leeds for nearly thirteen years, as successor to Messrs. Shepherd and Watney.
He was a native of Lincoln, and served his apprenticeship from 1894 to 1899 with Messrs. Robey and Company, Ltd., which was followed by a period in the drawing office of that firm and a two years' pupilage at the Lincoln Corporation Electricity Works.
In 1902 he was made assistant engineer at Croydon Corporation Electricity Works, and a year later he joined Callender's Cable and Construction Company, Ltd., as resident engineer on contract work.
He was associated with the electrification of a portion of the District Railway, London, with the constructional work for the Belfast tramways, and with the first high-tension overhead transmission lines erected in England; the latter involved much experimental work, and were designed for a three-phase supply at 10,000 volts.
Mr. Storr was in 1910 appointed technical assistant engineer for the borough of Bolton, and was responsible for plant and estimates for a proposed 20,000 kW. power station.
In 1911 he became superintending engineer to the Yorkshire Electric Power Company, at Leeds. He was responsible for all transmission and transformation work; the company then supplied power at 11,000, 2,000, and 400 volts both in overhead and underground construction, for transformation in either static or rotary transformer substations, and subsequent consumption in bulk by local authorities. Mr. Storr later took charge of the maintenance work and assumed control of the drawing office and power station staffs.
In 1922 he commenced his consulting work, and was responsible for the electric lighting and power plants for several important public buildings and private estates, for the heating system at Leeds General Infirmary, and for a large number of electric lifts.
He was in his fifty-seventh year when his death took place at Roundhay, Leeds, on 9th May 1935.
In 1911 he was elected an Associate Member of the Institution, and was transferred to Membership in 1927. He was also a Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.