Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,159 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

John Edward Kennard

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

John Edward Kennard (1887-1937)


1937 Obituary [1]

JOHN EDWARD KENNARD was manager of the technical department of Murex Welding Processes, Ltd., of Walthamstow. He was engaged on welding research and the development of welding technique, also the testing of welds and basic materials, and their metallographic examination. He was born in Cardiff in 1887 and received his technical education at Tod's Marine Academy and at Cardiff Technical College from 1910 to 1913. In 1903 he commenced a five years' apprenticeship in marine engineering at the Cardiff Channel Dry Dock Company, Ltd., at Newport, Mon. He then went to sea for some years as engineer on various steamships, and obtained a first class Board of Trade Certificate. During the War he served as an electrician on H.M.S. Reliance, and was subsequently transferred to H.M. Dockyard, Portsmouth, where he supervised the installation of gyro-compasses in various warships. In 1920 he joined Messrs. Thomas Diamond and Company, Ltd., of Cardiff, as engineer in charge of maintenance work. Three years later he turned his attention to welding, and became works manager to the Cardiff Electric Welding Company, Ltd. His appointment with Murex Welding Processes commenced in 1927. Mr. Kennard subsequently patented a device for the welding of light steel structures, and worked in collaboration with the Admiralty on the welding of high-tensile steels. He prepared specimens for the welding researches carried out by the Institution and by the National Physical Laboratory and the Board of Trade. He also evolved a system of the control of procedure in electric welding.

Mr. Kennard was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1936, only a year before his death, which occurred at his home at Rumford on 13th April 1937.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information