John Cuthbert Wigham (1869-1950)
John Cuthbert Wigham, who died on the 18th December, 1950, was born in Dublin in 1869 and was educated at local schools.
He was very active in the early introduction of electric lighting in lighthouses, when that form of illumination was then almost unknown. Later he introduced arc lighting in the newly built Museum in Dublin, which was then considered a great novelty. In the early days of town lighting he joined Edmundsons Electricity Corporation and played an active part in the lighting of Shrewsbury, and he became one of their leading engineers, especially in connection with Hawick in Scotland and Redruth in Cornwall. Later he assisted generally in obtaining Provisional Orders for electricity supply in many other towns, the plant being standardized under his supervision.
He retired from active practice about the year 1920 and then travelled extensively the world over, visiting many parts of Europe and Russia, China and Madagascar, organizing war victims' relief.
He became a Member of The Institution in 1910.