Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,315 pages of information and 230,176 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Born 1782 in Newport, died 1835 in Paris
Cotton spinner and machine maker.
In 1791 John's brother, James Collier, secretly left for France with the aim of helping to establish Toulouse as the 'new Manchester'. John joined him in 1793. Nothing came of that scheme, but in 1798 they joined with the Swiss banker Abraham de Rougement to establish a cotton, flax and woollen spinning mill at Cye-le-Foret. By the 'contraband technique', they were able to keep up with British innovation in the field. In 1805 the brothers became established as engineers and spinners in Paris, producing a range of textile machinery. In 1814 James moved to London. John was naturalised in 1819. The business failed in 1844, and the rights were bought by Benoît-Aimé Seillières, owner of Schirmeck spinning mill (established in 1817 by his grandfather John Heywood (1771-1855), who came from Manchester).
1841 John Collier listed as engineers & mecaniciens, iron & brass founders, and steam engine makers at Rue Richer, Paris