John Campbell (1892-1944)
of Messrs. R. W. Deacon and Co., Kalima. Works, Soerabaya, Java.
1945 Obituary 
JOHN CAMPBELL, who was born in 1892, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1940. He served his apprenticeship at Renfrew with Messrs. Babcock and Wilcox, Ltd., and Messrs. Lobnitz and Company, from 1909 to 1914, and during that period attended classes for instruction in engineering.
He then joined Messrs. Flannery, Baggallay, and Johnson, shipowners, and remained in the firm's service until 1926. He subsequently obtained his first-class Board of Trade Certificate, rising from junior to chief engineer. For two years he was also superintendent for the company at their Londonderry shipyard, and during the last year of his service supervised the construction of vessels.
In 1926 he left England to become marine superintendent at Lisbon for the Vacuum Oil Company of New York, where his duties included the running and maintenance of ships and their machinery, in addition to the design and construction of motor barges. He resigned this appointment five years later, and in 1932 returned to Messrs. Flannery, Baggalay, and Johnson in the capacity of engineer surveyor at their London Office.
Subsequently he received an appointment with Messrs. Ferguson and Timpson, Ltd., engineers, London, and was holding that position at the time of his death, which occurred on 19th May 1944.