John C. Onions
Bellows maker, of Bradford Street, Birmingham.
1650 Business established
1820 Simon Onions, of Bradford St, bellows maker.
1845 Listed as 'Onions, John Collingwood, smiths' bellows manufacturer, 63 and 64 Bradford St, Smithfield' in Birmingham. Also listed in 'Onions, James, bellows maker, 32 Worcester st' in Birmingham
1853 Fire at his premises in Bradford Street; Mr Onions and his family lived upstairs; much stock destroyed; believed to be one of the largest premises of its kind in the country; had been established in 1650; employed 100 people.
1863 Patent on portable forges..
1866 Advertised that his was the only bellows maker of the name Onions in Birmingham; no connection with Thomas Onions, whose business had recently failed..
1875 John C. Onions company (presume this is the same John C. Onions) registered..
1877 John C Onions Ltd, with offices of the secretary at 20 Colmore Row, declared dividend.
Sources of Information
- The Morning Post, 24 February 1853
- Birmingham Daily Post, 24 July 1862
- Birmingham Daily Post, 7 February 1863
- Birmingham Daily Post, 29 November 1866
- The Morning Post, 27 September 1875
- Birmingham Daily Post, 13 February 1877
- The Times, 14 January 1916