Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,137 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Burn Anstis Du Sautoy (c1849-1889).
Assoc. M. Inst. C. E.., F. G. S. of Glangariffe, Penarth.
Died 1889 aged 40. 
1889 Obituary 
JOHN BURN ANSTIS DU SAUTOY, was a son of the Rev. Frederick du Sautoy, vicar of Mark, Somersetshire.
He finished his education at Somerset College, Bath, where he gained several prizes for mathematics, &c., and in February, 1867, was articled for three years to Mr. Francis Fox, at that time Chief Engineer to the Bristol and Exeter Railway Company. On the expiration of his pupilage, Mr. du Sautoy remained in the employ of the company for two years, during which time he was engaged on the construction of the Cheddar Valley Railway; and had the superintendence of a railway opening-bridge of large dimensions over the River Parrett, at Bridgewater, and of the manufacture of the ironwork for the same at the Patent Shaft and Axletree Works, at Wednesbury.
For more than a year Mr. du Sautoy had the inspection (as Resident Engineer for the Bristol and Exeter Railway) of the Devon and Somerset line, then being constructed by an independent company.
On leaving the Bristol and Exeter Company, he was engaged as engineering agent to Mr. Blinkhorn, contractor for the Bristol Harbour Railway, and on finishing that work, he went in a similar capacity to the Birmingham and Harborne Railway, for Mr. George Bush, the contractor, and afterwards to Messrs. Thomas Nelson and Co., contractors, of York and Carlisle. By the latter firm he was engaged as engineer and manager for five years, and in that capacity had the sole charge of contracts on the North Eastern Railway, including extensive alterations at Hull, and the doubling of the main line between Brough and Saddlethorpe, on the Hull and Selby Railway; for the last two years of its construction he was in sole charge of the Leeds and Wetherby branch, where the works were of an extremely heavy nature. When this line was passed by Captain Tyler, the Government Inspector, his report stated that “It was many years since he had inspected a railway so well and so ably constructed,” and he especially commended the laying down of the permanent way.
On leaving Messrs. Nelson, Mr. du Sautoy did sundry work on his own account at West Bromwich and in London, subsequently returning to Messrs. Nelson for a short time, as manager of a large contract at Cardiff. He was afterwards employed in that town in Parliamentary work by the Rhymney Railway Company, and from that went to the Taff Vale Railway Company, in whose service he remained nearly two years, until November, 1886, when serious illness compelled him to relinquish work permanently.
Quiet and retiring in manner, and unselfish and kind-hearted in disposition, he made many friends, and his untiring industry, perseverance under difficulties, and love of his profession were prominent features in his character. He died on the 25th of February, 1889, after three and a quarter years of painful illness, at the age of forty years.
Mr. du Sautoy was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 1st of February, 1887, and was also a Fellow of the Geological Society.