Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,180 pages of information and 233,419 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Bennet Lawes & Co
Established by John Bennet Lawes
1843 John Bennet Lawes established Lawes’ Artificial Manure Co. at Deptford Creek, to exploit the sulphuric acid process to make superphosphate fertilizer by processing phosphate-rich materials (bones, Peruvian guano, phosphate rock, and coprolites), which Lawes had developed and patented in 1842 (Patent No. 9353).
1857 Opened a second factory on 98 acres of marshaland at Barking Creek.
1867 Bought the insolvent Atlas Chemical Works at Millwall (which produced tartaric and citric acid).
1872 John Lawes sold the company, which was renamed Lawes’ Chemical Manure Co Ltd. J B Lawes stayed on as a consultant. William Colchester, a former competitor and one of the investors, became Chairman.