Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,742 pages of information and 213,795 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Allsop Clyma (1889-1941)
1943 Obituary 
JOHN ALLSOP CLYMA was for over twenty years chief engineer to the Egyptian Delta Land and Investment Company, at Ma'adi, Egypt, where he was responsible for the operation and maintenance of the filtered water, irrigation, and electricity generating plants, and of the upkeep of the electric transmission lines. He also took charge of all new development work carried out in the district, and supervised the erection and repair of house property, the carrying out of road repairs, and the general constructional work connected with a building estate.
Mr. Clyma was born in 1889 and after receiving his education at Osborne House School, he became an apprentice in the works of Messrs. John Dewrance and Company, serving until 1909. He then joined the shore staff of Messrs. Alfred Holt and Company, of Liverpool, as assistant engineer, but in 1911 he went to sea as junior engineer on T.S.S. Antilochus. A year later he was promoted to be senior engineer on the same ship, and in 1912 he joined the Ixion in the same capacity.
During 1916-17 he took charge of erection work for the Seattle Ship Construction Company, and then enlisted in H.M. Forces, being transferred to the Inland Water Transport service, and took charge of operations for towing shallow-draught vessels to Mesopotamia. He subsequently superintended the erection, at Cairo, of stern-wheel steamships for service on the Nile. In 1919 he entered the service of the Vacuum Oil Company, and was placed in charge of a fuel oil, lubricating oil, and benzene installation at Port Said, holding this appointment until he joined the Egyptian Delta Land and Investment Company in the following year.
Mr. Clyma, who had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1926, died in Egypt on 8th April 1941.