John Allan Rolls, 1st Baron Llangattock, DL (19 February 1837 – 24 September 1912) owned The Hendre, a Victorian mansion north of Monmouth.
He was the only son of John Etherington Welch Rolls and his wife Elizabeth Mary Long. Elizabeth was a daughter of Walter Long of Preshaw and granddaughter of William Carnegie, 7th Earl of Northesk.
Rolls was educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford, later becoming Captain in the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Yeomanry Cavalry, and was afterwards appointed honorary colonel of the 4th Welsh Brigade R.F.A.
In 1868 he married Georgiana Marcia Maclean in London. She was the daughter of Sir Charles Fitzroy Maclean, 9th Baronet of Morvaren (1798-1883). They had four children:
He served as MP for Monmouthshire from 1880-1885, and was raised to the peerage in 1892.
He was elected High Sheriff of Montgomeryshire in 1895 and served as Mayor of Monmouth 1896-1897. He was also a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant of that county.
He was a breeder of Shire horses and acquired a reputation amongst agriculturalists for his shorthorn and Hereford cattle and Shropshire breeds of sheep. He was a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and restored several Monmouthshire churches at his own expense.