Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,077 pages of information and 222,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Jensen Motors of Carter's Green, West Bromwich was a British manufacturer of sports cars and commercial vehicles.
See also -
1931 they bought the body works of W. J. Smith and Sons where they worked after the owner's death
1938 Produced car with 4.5l straight eight Nash engine.
WW2 Jensen concentrated on the war effort and produced components for military vehicles including the turrets for tanks, and on the production of specialised ambulances and fire-engines.
After the war, production of the Jen-Tug thrived and Jensen also produced a new range of JNSN lightweight diesel trucks and chassis which were used for a variety of vehicles including pantechnicons and buses.
1952 Jensen's design for a new Austin-based sports-car was rejected by the British Motor Corporation (BMC) in 1952 in favour of a design provided by Donald Healey. Jensen did gain the BMC contract to build the bodies for the resultant Austin-Healey: 100 from 1952 until 1966.
1954 The Jensen-541 pioneered the use of a fibreglass body.
c.1956 Factory moved to Kelvin Way, Birmingham
1959 Acquired by Norcros
1960 Jensen won a contract from Volvo to assemble and finish the bodies for their P1800 coupé. The Pressed Steel Co manufactured the body-shells at their Linwood plant in Scotland and shipped them to Jensen in West Bromwich to be finished, painted and trimmed, before then being shipped to Sweden where Volvo completed the final build.
In the early 1960s Jensen were also involved in the development and production of the Sunbeam 'Tiger'.
Early 1970s introduction of the Jensen-Healey sports car
1976 Jensen Motors ceased trading in May 1976. Two new companies: Jensen Special Products (JSP Engineering) and Jensen Parts and Service Limited (JP&S) were created to pick up the pieces of Jensen Motors. JSP was created as a specialist engineering and design company from Jensen's development department. JP&S was created to provide parts and service to the existing Jensen customer base. Both JSP and JP&S were bought by a holding company, Britcar Holdings.
1982 JP&S, with the rights to use the Jensen brand names, was sold to Ian Orford.
1987 The company became Jensen Cars Ltd
2001 A revival in 2001 was short lived. By the end of 2002 production of their only model - the £40,000 S-V8 - had ceased.