Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,850 pages of information and 228,791 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Ross and Co, chemical manufacturers, of Camelon; of Linlithgow
1845 Established by James Ross (1820-1893) and two partners. The business leased land on the Forth and Clyde Canal in Camelon near the West Burn.
1847 James Ross bought out his two partners and leased land at Limewharf from William Forbes and began tar distillation. The business expanded with the establishment of Philpstoun Oil Works, near Linlithgow and the acquisition of Waverley Chemical Works, Leith and Dawsholm Works, Maryhill.
1920 the company was split into two, as James Ross and Co (Lime Wharf) Ltd and James Ross and Co (Philpstoun Oil Works) Ltd.