Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,956 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

James Perry (1845-1906)

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

James Perry (1845-1906)


1907 Obituary [1]

JAMES PERRY, born at Garvagh, County Londonderry, on the 7th September, 1845, was educated at the local national school, and afterwards pursued his studies at Queen’s College, Belfast, and the Royal College of Science, Dublin, graduating in engineering with first-class honours in Queen’s University in 1873. He obtained his practical training in the shops of the Belfast and County Down Railway, and was subsequently employed on water-supply works at Beyrout, Syria, and in Belfast.

In 1877 he obtained the appointment of County Surveyor of Roscommon, and 5 years later he was transferred to Galway, where he held the office of County Surveyor until his death. In this capacity he was responsible for the maintenance and repair of over 1,000 miles of public roads, and for the design and execution of numerous bridges, buildings, coast-defence and other works for the national and local authorities. In addition to his official duties, Mr. Perry carried on an extensive private practice and acted as Consulting Engineer for large government relief works and on other work for the Congested Districts Board. He also carried out, amongst other undertakings, waterworks at Clifden and Bundoran, and large school buildings for the Rose Convent, Galway.


In 1888, in conjunction with his brother, Professor John Perry, and another, he built and equipped an electric station at Galway, from which power was supplied to private consumers. In the following year the partners obtained the Galway electric lighting order and proceeded to extend their works and put down additional machinery. The Galway Electric Company, Limited, was formed in 1897, and Mr. James Perry, as Managing Director and Chief Engineer, was responsible for the supervision of the business, which, under his management, increased considerably, necessitating further extension of the works and machinery. In 1905 the Company successfully undertook the public lighting of the town of Galway. The last important work which Mr. Perry undertook was the execution of a new waterworks scheme for Galway. He died, after a brief illness, at his residence, Wellpark, Galway, on the 28th November, 1906, aged 61, widely and deeply regretted.


Mr. Perry was elected a Member of The Institution on the 6th December, 1892.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information