Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,272 pages of information and 216,057 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Ardwick, Manchester
1840 Advert: 'To Iron Masters, Engineers, and Others.— Sale of capital Iron Forge, Steam Engine, and Leasehold Property at Pin Mill Brow, Ancoats Bridge, Ardwick, Manchester. Free from Duty.
By order of the Assignees of Mr. James Park. a bankrupt....
THE Whole of the MACHINERY and FlXTURES at the Iron Forge. Pin Mill Brow, in Ardwick, consisting of a new condensing steam engine of about 20-horse power, with gearing: two new metal helves, one of about two, the other three tons, with hammers, anvils, excellent sheers, &c: new and substantial crane, suitable for the making of shafts of any weight; furnaces and carriage, with all requisite tools for the forging and manufacturing of scrap iron into uses or bars; also bellows, anvil, screw stocks, and other smiths' implements. All the machinery, gearing, is entirely new and of the best possible construction and pattern, suitable for an extensive and profititble business, there being plenty of coals in the immediate vicinity, a ready and extensive market for manufactured articles, and no iron forge of similar extent and principle in Manchester or within ten miles.
Also the bankrupt's Estate and Interest under agreement for lease, (which the landlord has agreed to confirm) of 21 years, which will expire on the 24th June, 1860, in the plot land and buildings where the above mentioned machinery is erected, situate at Pin Mill Brow, Ardwick, on the banks of the Medlock, containing about 3000 square yards, with the right to use and take the water in the river there conjointly with all other persons entitled. The yearly rent is £120; ....'
The 1849 O.S. map shows Pin Mill Iron Forge immediately east of Pin Mill Brow on the south side of Ancoats Bridge, and separated from the River Medlock by Lime Kiln Road. The forge buildings had a floor area of about 70 by 15 yds in a triangular plot of land of about twice that area. Bancks's 1831 map shows the same buildingsplus what appears to be a small pond. The 1915/1922 O.S. map shows that the plot was occupied by about 35 terraced houses.