Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,419 pages of information and 211,648 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Lindsay Sands (1876-1946)
1947 Obituary 
"Captain (E.) JAMES LINDSAY SANDS, M .B.E , R .N ret., whose death occurred at Lisbon on 16th November 1946, was elected a Member of the Institution in 1928.
He was born in 1876 and educated at the High School and Wesley College, Dublin. On the conclusion of a five-year course of training at the Keyham Dockyard School in 1896 he went to sea and served as assistant engineer and later as engineer lieutenant in various vessels, including destroyers, until 1910. During this period he was for two years on the staff of the Parliamentary Boiler Committee, being in charge of experimental "Yarrow" boilers. He was promoted to Lieutenant-Commander (E.) in 1910 and stationed at Liverpool as Admiralty overseer for two years. On promotion to the rank of Commander (E.) in 1914 he was appointed to HMS Southampton and became fleet engineer of a light cruiser squadron, at that time actively engaged with the enemy in the North Sea.
He was twice mentioned in dispatches. After three years service in H.M.S. Monarch, Second Battle Squadron, Grand Fleet, he went to Wei-Hai-Wei, North China, as chief engineer of H.M. Dockyard, where he also acted as engineering adviser and inspector of lighthouses for the colonial government of that territory. After holding these joint appointments for five years until 1924, he retired from the service with the rank of Captain (E.). Subsequently he became engineer manager to Messrs. Millers and Corys, at St. Vincent, Cape Verde Islands, for whom he was engaged on the supervision and modernization of the plant of a large fuel-oil installation and coaling depot. Later he became Vice-Consul and subsequently Consul at St. Vincent. He was Consul for more than a decade. He was also overseer for Lloyds in the Cape Verde Islands."