Lincoln Elk were motorcycles produced by James Kirby, at Broadgate, Lincoln, from 1902 to 1925.
1902 the Lincoln Elk name was first seen on bicycles prior to 1902, but from that year and until he was into his sixties, James Kirby produced a powered model. This was a heavy-duty bicycle fitted with an engine.
1905 The model now had a 2.24hp engine fitted into a loop frame with braced forks and belt drive. Following on from that, the firm made their own engines of 3hp and 3.5hp and also used Druid forks.
1912 An ingenious two-speed gear appeared. This had a chain-driven counter-shaft with two clutches, one on either side of the machine, to engage either a belt drive to the rear wheel, or a chain, and thus giving two ratios.
1914-1916 A 6hp V-twin was added, to join 2.25hp and 4.25hp singles.
Post-War. There were three sv models: singles of 349cc and 597cc, and a 771cc V-twin that ran on until 1925.
1922 The smallest model had the option of a direct-belt drive.
1924 All three models had all-chain drive.
1925 With James Kirby now well into his eighties, production came to an end.
Sources of Information
- The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X
- The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle by Peter Henshaw. Published 2007. ISBN 978 1 8401 3967 9