Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,143 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

James Handford Page

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

James Handford Page (1866-1914)

1916 Obituary [1]

JAMES HANDFORD PAGE was born in Liverpool on 30th November 1866.

He was educated at Waterloo High School, near Liverpool, from 1877 to 1882, and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Fawcett, Preston and Co., Liverpool, from 1883 to 1888, remaining with the same firm as draughtsman till 1892.

He then spent three years as assistant engineer at the Canovanes Sugar Factory, Puerto Rico.

In December 1895 he entered the service of Messrs. Strong, Reid and Page as fourth engineer in the S.S. "Obidense," afterwards serving in the same capacity in the S.S. "Corso," and as Second Engineer in the S.S. "Orbo."

After acquiring the Board of Trade's certificate as Chief Engineer, he commenced practice in Liverpool in 1897 as a consulting engineer and naval architect, in conjunction with Mr. R. F. Harvey. Some of the most important works carried out by the two partners were the following: designing and superintending the construction of twelve light-draught river steamers for use on the River Amazon, superintending Messrs. G. H. Fletcher's "La Flecha " line of steamers sailing in the Spanish trade, and surveying various steamers on their behalf; designing and superintending the construction of two large wool shed plants and two large tallow plants, all for South America; and designing plant and vessels for the Perim Coal Co. Mr. Page also had under his personal supervision Messrs. John Duncan, Son and Co.'s fleet of steam trawlers.

His death took place at Formby, near Liverpool, on 31st August 1914, in his forty-eighth year.

He was elected an Associate Member of this Institution in 1901, and was transferred to full Membership in 1905.

See Also


Sources of Information