Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,118 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Dewhirst (1865-1934)
1934 Obituary 
JAMES DEWHIRST was for many years engineer and surveyor to the Chelmsford Rural District Council, and was responsible for the construction and maintenance of several waterworks pumping stations, distribution mains, and sewerage works while he held that position.
He was born in Keighley in 1865, and in 1881 became an apprentice at the works of his father, Mr. W. H. Dewhirst, of Keighley, where he was employed on general engineering and millwrights' work.
He remained with the firm until 1892, when he became an assistant in the Plymouth municipal offices. A year later he was appointed assistant in the office of the surveyor and water engineer at Stroud, Gloucestershire, and was responsible for the management of the water supply and pumping machinery.
In 1894 he joined Guildford Rural District Council as surveyor and engineer, and occupied this position for five years, after which he took up his appointment at Chelmsford, which he held until his retirement in 1930. He designed and supervised the construction of the pumping stations and waterworks at Ingatestone and Broomfield, and the reconstruction of the existing plant at Great Baddow, Writtle, and Danbury, in order to cope with increased demands. In addition he was responsible for the design and construction of over 600 houses built by the Rural District Council.
Mr. Dewhirst had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1903.
His death occurred in London on 27th May 1934.