Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,112 pages of information and 233,645 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Carson (c1868-1934), managing director of James Carson and Co
1934 Obituary 
JAMES CARSON was for many years managing director of Messrs. James Carson and Company, machine tool manufacturers, of Tottenham.
He was a native of Kingstown, Co. Dublin, and was educated at Wesley College, Dublin, and later entered Trinity College. He then studied engineering at the Royal College of Science, Dublin, gaining the diploma in engineering in 1885. In the same year he acted as assistant on the Lough Erin drainage scheme, and in 1888 he became mechanical engineer to the Oxygen Sewage Purification Company, and held this position until 1892.
He then entered the laboratories of the Royal University of Ireland as private assistant to the curator. One of his most important tasks at the University was the mounting of the great Rowland spectrometer, having a focus of 21 ft. 6 in.
In 1896 he became engineer to Messrs. Bewley and Draper, Dublin, and two years later was appointed joint managing director of the Batey Engineering Company, Birmingham, and specialized in the manufacture of machine tools and woodworking machinery.
A few years before the War, Mr. Carson established the London business associated with his name, and held the position of managing director until shortly before his death. The firm manufactured machine tools, special cutters, broaches, jigs, etc., and during the War was engaged on special work in connexion with munition contracts.
Mr. Carson died at Torquay on 17th September 1934, at the age of 68.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1910 and was transferred to Membership in 1915.