Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,918 pages of information and 228,821 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Brown Edmiston (1844-1906)
Marine Superintending Engineer, Hamilton, Fraser and Co, K Exchange Buildings, Liverpool ; and Ivy Cottage, Highfield Road, Walton, Liverpool.
1906 Obituary 
JAMES BROWN EDMISTON was born at Greenock on 24th October 1844.
He served his apprenticeship of five years at the Shaves Water Engineering Works of Messrs. McNab and Co., Greenock, and passed the various examinations requisite for a sea-going engineer.
After remaining abroad seven years he returned to this country, and became engineering superintendent for Mr. Joseph Hoult, of Liverpool.
In 1882 he joined the firm of Messrs. Hamilton, Fraser, and Co., as consulting and superintending engineer, and remained with them until his death.
He invented a feed-water filter, and was associated with the late Sir. Mudd, of the Central Marine Engine Works, West Hartlepool, in the introduction of the quadruple-expansion engine operated on the five-crank principle.
His death took place at his residence at Walton, Liverpool, on 8th May 1906, in his sixty-second year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1883.