Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,110 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1854 The Forges et Aciéries de la Marine et des chemins de fer were established by the merger of four local steel companies. The managers were Hippolyte Petin (b. Amiens, Somme, November 12, 1813, died Rive-de-Gier, Loire, February 3, 1892) and Picard and Jean-Marie Gaudet (b.Pont-d'Ain, April 3, 1815, died Châteauneuf, Loire, December 7, 1886) and brothers Charles Jackson and William Jackson (Jackson Frères). In 1855, the Petin and Gaudet forges accounted for 41% of the turnover but 46% of the group’s profits. After the withdrawal of Charles and William Jackson, the company became, on November 11, 1857, Hippolyte Petin, Gaudet & Cie.
Note: Charles and William Jackson were sons of James Jackson.
1855 Patented a type of rolling mill having three or more rolls (patented in Britain 27 Aug 1855).
1857 Jackson freres and P. Gaudet & Co patented a centrifugal casting process for wheels, tubes, hollow axles, etc.