J. and J. Cunningham
From Graces Guide
of 44 Bernard Street, Leith
1845 John and James Cunningham, of Leith, were trading as seed crushers and artificial manure merchants.
By the mid 1860s the Cunninghams were producing a range of compound fertilizers (based on guano and superphosphate), for which they installed new mixing and milling plant c.1867
c.1869 One of the earliest firms to make cattle foods from compounded ingredients, employing varying proportions of cakes derived from crushed linseed and cottonseed.
By 1870 they were one of the first firms to guarantee the analysis of their products.
The firm also ran an oil mill under the name of the Leith Cottonseed Oil Co.
1896 The company was registered on 5 November, to take over the business of manufacturers of sulphuric acid, artificial manure of the firm of the same name. 
1902 Opened another oil mill and refinery in a converted spinning mill at Forfar.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- The Times, Feb 05, 1929
- Archives of the British chemical industry, 1750-1914: a handlist. By Peter J. T. Morris and Colin A. Russell. Edited by John Graham Smith. 1988