Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,108 pages of information and 233,634 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Pool's of Hayle, Cornwall.
1862 Founded by brothers James Pool and Fredrick Pool. This was based on their father, James ‘Tinman’ Pool’s company, founded in 1848 to produce plumbing services, tinware and tools for the local community and the Cornish mines.
1905 Incorporated as a Limited Co.
1909 Under J. and F. Pool's ownership, the company engaged a London agent, and produced a new catalogue. The catalogue included illustrations of seventy three different types of product, including name plates, umbrella stands, log and coal boxes, fenders, fire screens, mirrors, clocks, trays, gongs, pipe racks and decorative plaques, each in a variety of designs, primarily decorated in the ‘Art Nouveau’ style.
While Newlyn copper was totally handmade, only the finishing of Hayle copper was done by hand. Large presses with zinc dies were used to stamp out the main designs, with the hammered decoration added at the finishing stage. Some pieces involved a considerable amount of hand working, while others were left plain and only a minimal amount of finishing was completed by hand.
J. and F. Pool's decorative and household copper work dwindled as the company increasingly moved into other markets, including producing munitions for both World Wars.
c.1920 Pool’s acquired the Cornish Shovel Co
1922 Managing Director: T. A. Pool. Works Manager H. L. Pool. Secretary: F. P. Luckhurst
1922 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of Hand-beaten Copper Goods, viz.; Curbs, Fire Screens, Coal Vases, Trays, Clocks, Hot-Water Jugs, Cigar and Trinket Boxes, Mirrors, Hall Sets, etc. (Stand No. K.64)
1947 Acquired the Cultivex Co, manufacturing cloches and small greenhouses, in 1947.
1986 The company was controlled by the Pool family until 1986, when it was sold to Cooper Industries, and eventually merged into Ash and Lacy, who moved production to their other factory(s) in the Midlands in 2001.