Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,691 pages of information and 213,769 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Gospel Oak Iron Works, Tipton
1801 Concerning Gospel Oak Iron-Works: the Partnership between William Bancks, John Read, and John Dumaresq was dissolved; John Read was authorised to receive the debts due
1817 John Read, of Gospel Oak, in the Parish of Tipton, Iron-Master, Dealer and Chapman, had been declared bankrupt. A meeting of his creditors was arranged for the 23d day of August at the Hotel, in Dudley, in the County of Worcester, to decide about the mortgages, etc on the Gospel Oak Iron-Works, messuages, lands, mines, colliery, and other hereditaments belonging to Read, and about the sale of the machinery, etc
1822 Walker and Yates removed the models and machinery for making cannon from the Samuel Walker and Co foundry at the Holmes, Rotherham, to Gospel Oak.
The enterprise failed though two of his sons later made it a profitable concern.
1826 Samuel returned to Rotherham
1834 Dissolution of the Partnership between Samuel Walker and William Yates, at Anchor Wharf, Upper Thames-Street, London, and at the Gospel Oak Iron Works, in the County of Stafford, as Ironmasters, and carried on under the firms of Walker and Yates, and Samuel Walker and Co.
1846 The Albert Dock was established, with one of the first dockside warehouses designed to be resistant to fire, with cast iron columns from the Gospel Oak Works.
A similar construction followed at the Gladstone Dock, Liverpool.
1848 the works were owned by John and Edward Walker, '...the manufacture of iron and tinplates is largely carried on; and adjacent is a foundry in which bridges, immense quantities of cannon, etc, are made. These works together employ 350 persons, and the wrought-iron cannon produced in the establishment have been brought to such perfection as probably to supersede brass cannon, from their possessing more tenacity, when hot, than those of brass, and not being heavier, a great desideratum with artillery-men...'.
c.1860 The company ceased trading; the works were sold on and were eventaully demolished, when the site became known as The Lunt.
By 1862 Walter Robinson and Co (Tipton) occupied Gospel Oak Works
1866 Reference to the company as "the late J. and E. Walker who supplied the government with cannon". Their equipment was taken over by three former employees who have set up as the Hope Co
At some later time but prior to 1902 the Blackwall Galvanised Iron Co acquired the Gospel Oak Co, whose brands of galvanized sheets (Poplar, Blackwall and Gospel Oak) were widely traded in Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, and other parts of the world.