Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,308 pages of information and 230,176 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

J. W. Arrowsmith

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Quay Street, Bristol (1857), Publishers and General Printers

1821 William Browne established the business.

1831 Partnership of Browne & Reid

1835 W. Browne continued the business

1836 Philp continued the business

1838 Partnership of Philp & Evans,

1840 H. C. Evans in charge of the business

1849 Partnership of Hugh Evans & Abbott

1854 Isaac Arrowsmith moved to Bristol, where he entered into partnership with Hugh Evans, stationer and bookseller, of Clare Street. Their first joint venture was a penny Time Table of Steam Packets and Railways, which appeared in July 1854.

1857 The partnership ended when Isaac Arrowsmith moved to 11 Quay Street - see J. Arrowsmith (of Bristol)

The business expanded, including a great deal of printing work for the Great Western Railway.

1871 Isaac died; the business passed to his son James Williams Arrowsmith who developed the publishing side of the business, with great success.

1877 Arrowsmiths became printers to Bristol University

Carried out printing work for a large number of Bristol establishments, including Clifton College, the Children's Hospital and Bristol Record Society.

Published many successful books, including "Called Back", "Hugh Conway", "Three Men in a Boat" (Jerome K. Jerome), "The Prisoner of Zenda " ("Anthony Hope") and "The Diary of a Nobody" (George Crossmith).

20th century: The publishing side of the business declined during the early years of the century, while the printing work continued to flourish.

1911 Incorporated as a private Limited Company.

1913 On the death of James Williams, his nephew, J.A. Arrowsmith-Brown, succeeded to the business.

1914 General publishing and printing. J. A. Arrowsmith-Brown, Chairman.

1937 on the death of the chairman, the business passed to his nephew, R. H. Brown.

1954 The business moved to a modern factory in Winterstoke Road, giving ample room for further expansion and the adoption of the most advanced techniques.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • [1] National Archives