Richard Sumner had a blacksmith business at The Old Smithy in Leyland. His son, James developed various vehicles including a steam waggon, a tricycle fitted with a small oil-fired boiler and a steam-driven lawnmower.
When the company moved to larger premises in Herbert Street, the Old Smithy was taken over by George Damp and Sons
Engaged in the manufacture of steam lawnmowers
Later the Coulthard interest in the business was taken over by Stott Co of Manchester, agricultural engineers (question whether this is strictly correct - Spurrier was a founding partner in Lancashire Steam Motor, and was involved in Stott and Co; Coulthard's continued to be involved in vehicles up to 1907).
1896 The company became the Lancashire Steam Motor Co
Sources of Information
- Obituary of J H Toulmin
- The First Fifty Years. Leyland Motors Ltd. Published 1946.