Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,446 pages of information and 230,060 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

J. R. and J. Ferguson

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Carlisle

1848 Advertisement: 'VALUABLE AND EXTENSIVE MANUFACTURING PREMISES In and Near Carlisle, to Let; with the GOOD-WILL OF AN OLD-ESTABLISHED MANUFACTURING CONCERN BE DISPOSED OF.

'MESSRS. J. R. & J. FERGUSON (being about to retire from Business) will Treat with any person desirous of extending their Trade, or of Carrying on the Gingham and Check Manufacture, for the GOODWILL of their CONCERN, which has been many years established, and is well connected.
Messrs. J. R. & J. F. will also LET, for such a Term of Years as may be agreed upon, either the Whole or Part of the extensive and convenient PREMISES, in which they have hitherto carried on the Trade of Dyers, Bleachers, and Manufacturers of Cotton, Ginghams, Checks, and other Hand-Loom Fabrics. The Premises consist of the following particulars :—
1st. A large WAREHOUSE, newly-erected, situate on the West Side of Blackfriars' Street, CARLISLE, comprising Winding Machine Rooms, Sizing and Drying Houses, with an 8 and 16 Horse Boiler, 4 Horse Steam Engine, by Peels, Williams, & Co. — equal to 6 horse power; Stables, Granary, Out-houses, and a large Close Yard.
2nd. A large GOODS WAREHOUSE, on the East Side of BLACKFRIARS STREET, immediately opposite to the above-mentioned premises, containing a Counting House, with large Iron Safe, Warping Rooms, Yarn Rooms, Rooms for Delivering and Receiving Work, Packing Rooms, with Hydraulic Press, and Cranes for Loading.
3rd. DYEING and BLEACHING WORKS, at CUMMERSDALE, about a Mile and a Half from Carlisle, with an excellent and never-failing Stream of Water, from the River Caldew, running through the Premises (held in the highest estimation for Dyeing and Bleaching,) and skirted by the Maryport and Carlisle Railway, by which Coals may be supplied. These Premises comprise large Blue Dye- Houses, containing 50 Cast-iron Vats, 4 feet by 6; a Fancy Dyehouse, with large Copper and Yarn Boilers ; a Bleach-house, with every requisite; Stream Wheel-Pump, and large Cistern for supplying the whole of the buildings with water ; Stove and Drying-houses; Open Sheds ; Yarn Rooms ; Warehouses ; Stable; Two Dwelling Houses for Manager and Foreman and other Out-buildings the whole inclosed by a wall and gates. From the concentration of various Railways at Carlisle, it possesses the best and most direct mode communication with Manchester, Glasgow, London, and Newcastle ; and there is also a regular communication by Steam Vessels with Liverpool and Belfast. These advantages, with the moderate price and good quality of the Coal, and an abundant supply of Water for Dyeing and Bleaching, render Carlisle a most desirable situation for carrying on an extensive Business in the Manufacture of Cotton Goods.
The whole of the Utensils and Fixtures to be taken by the Tenant at a valuation. For further Particulars apply to Messrs. J. R. and J. Ferguson, Carlisle, and at No. 56, Fountain-street, Manchester or to Messrs. W. and J. Nanson, Solicitors, Carlisle.' [1]

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Carlisle Journal, 29 September 1848