Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,502 pages of information and 233,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
J. L. Kier and Co of 142 Victoria Street, London, SW1
1928 Jorgen Lotz and Olaf Kier, formed Lotz and Kier, a construction business. They were pioneers of reinforced concrete design and construction. Their first contract was for to use reinforce concrete in a bridge in Bath (which is still in service in 2021 and bears the Lotz and Kier plaque - presumably this was Cleveland Bridge).
1932 J. L. Kier and Co. was formed to take over the civil engineering and building contractor business that had been established by Olaf Kier.
c.1934 Ove Nyquist Arup became chief engineer of J. L. Kier and Co. He appointed Felix James Samuely to carry out the structural calculations for the spiral ramp of the penguin pool at the London Zoo (designed by Berthold Lubetkin).
Samuely subsequently joined J. L. Kier & Co. on a permanent basis.
Designed Highpoint I and II, residential blocks, one of the first examples of box-frame construction in the UK.
1937 Reinforced concrete contractors. 
WWII Involved in the war effort, including construction of modules for the Mulberry Harbour.
Post-WWII Reconstruction work.
1949 J. L. Kier and Co (London) Ltd was incorporated.
After working on the reconstruction of Rotterdam Docks, Kier was chosen as chair of the Anglo-Dutch Owens Falls Dam project in Uganda
1950s Construction projects included the Medway Bridge and many power stations.
1963 Public company J. L. Kier and Co Ltd was formed to take over J. L. Kier and Co (London) Ltd. The business of J. L. Kier and Co (London) became Kier Ltd. which took on all of the civil engineering and building contracting work of the 2 predecessor companies, including most types of heavy civil engineering including power stations, harbours, roads, bridges, pipelines, cooling towers, factories and other buildings. Also had 5 subsidiaries:
1967 After rapid expansion, the company moved to Tempsford Hall in Bedfordshire.
Acquisitions brought new expertise to the company, including civil engineering and commercial and private building.
1971 Robert Marriott, housebuilders, became part of Kier Group.