Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Alpha Works, Acton Hill, London, W3. (1922)
Ditto address. Telephone: Chiswick 0840. Cables: "Alphatoiz, London". (1929)
1840 The family business of J. K. Farnell was established in 1840 in Notting Hill, London by John Kirby Farnell, making small textile items such as tea cosies, pin cushions and pen wipers.
1870 Agnus Farnell, John's daughter, began to make soft toys with the backing of her Father and Henry, her brother.
1897 After John's death, Agnus and Henry moved the firm to Acton where they leased an 18th century house "The Elms" and set up a 'soft toy' business, initially using rabbit skins to make the toys.
1908 The firm is said to have produced its first Teddy Bear.
1921 J. K. Farnell became a private limited company. In the same year Agnus set up the Alpha works next to the existing Farnell factory and began to produce Teddy Bears working with the designer Sybil Kemp.
1922 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of Soft Stuffed Toys. (Stand No F.58) 
1925 The Alpha trademark which was used on all Farnell Bears since the 1920s, was officially registered as the firm's trademark. In January, Agnus Farnell died. The Farnell company, however, continued to expand and in the same year opened its new showroom in London at 19 New Union Street, East London.
1926 The Alpha bears, which were made of Yorkshire mohair, soon became famous and Farnell quickly established itself as one of Britain's most popular bear makers. Farnell bears were sold in most major stores, including Harrods in London, where the original Alpha bear was brought for Christopher Robin Milne and went on to become Winnie the Pooh.
1927 The firm extended it's range to produce Anima wheeled toys, which included a bear and the factory space was extended to cope with the new production lines.
1929 The company joined forces with Louis Force and Co Inc to distribute its toys in America and Canada, and showroom was opened in New York. By the end of the 1920s the Farnell company had also established showrooms in Paris. Production of Silkalite artificial-silk plush bears started.
1929 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of Soft Toys, Advertising Novelties, etc., including "Beauty", "Monty", "Buster", "Peke Wu", "Anima" wheel animals, etc., etc. Trade mark "Alpha". Monomark B.C.M./Alphatoiz. (Stand No. D.3) 
1931 In the same year the company introduced its cheap Unicorn soft toys. The bear shown on the left is part of Farnell's Unicorn range.
1932 J. K. Farnell joined forces with William Bailey (Birmingham) a toy manufacturing firm. One sales team was used to market both firms' goods.
1934 The firm had its premises totally destroyed by fire. Despite this setback J. K. Farnell was operating again within a year from a new factory, large enough for the firm to employ 300 workers. Many new designs were introduced at this time including Che-Kee (Lambs wool), Alpac (alpaca) and Jay Day dolls, and old ranges including Alpha and Teddy series of bears were revived and produced again.
1940 The Farnell company suffered extensive bomb damage of their premises and once again the factory had to be totally rebuilt.
1944 Henry Kirby Farnell died.
During the 1950's the firm had it's trademark redesigned and opened new showrooms at St Paul's Churchyard, East London.
1959 A production unit with 100 employees was established at 39 George St, Hastings, Sussex, this later became the the Olympia Works. The new unit produced 95% of Teddy bears made by Farnell for export, the Acton factory was now used to produce toys mainly for the British market. Farnell's head office was relocated in the same year to Hastings.
1960 The Farnell company registered the Mother Goose trade mark for washable nylon toys.
1964 All production of Farnell toys is moved to Hastings. A subsidiary company Acton Toycraft Ltd took over the lease of the Alpha Works, which it renamed the Twyford Works.
1968 The Farnell company continued to produce Teddy Bears until the late 1968 when it was taken over by a finance company.